Friday, January 30, 2009

Superbowl Delay

I am not a huge professional football fan, but will get into the spirit as I do each year in the name of Superbowl parties. I knew I was going to love them when I attended my very first grown up one (you know, one that is mostly your friends rather than your parent's) in the winter of 1999 when TJ and I headed over to Kremer's college house to find our friends watching the tube and Kremer's mom making goodies for all of us. It was really fun, and whether I was at someone's house or a bar each year it has continued to be a good time. Living in Germany will be no exception! Another ex-patriot is a huge sports fan and always finds a way to get the games here, so we will travel to his place in Weinheim on Monday night. Yes, I said Monday night as there is a delay. Remember there is a seven hour difference between Mannheim and the Midwest, so it would be the middle of the night here. FYI Americans...this means that we would really appreciate it if you would not send emails to TJ or myself regarding who wins until Tuesday. In fact, we have been instructed by the host to stay away from the internet all day and the news, TV, whatever...as a precaution so no one ruins it for everybody else. OK? Thanks.
Now on to who I am cheering for. I will be sporting the red clothing this year as I am hoping the Cardinals win. I usually prefer black and gold on all occassions as I am a loyal Hawkeye fan, but not in this case as I still have a special place in my heart for all things Arizona. Also the Arizona QB graduated from my alma mater (UNI) and we also share the same place of employment through college (Hy-Vee). All of these things tip the scales to the only reason I can think of to cheer for the Steelers...they were my grandmother's most favorite team. Sorry, Dot!
We will see what happens...but remember...hush until Tuesday!
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: