Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rewind

Lets rewind to Christmas when TJ and I went snowboarding in Austria. Here is a picture of us with the Austrian Alps (at Filzmoos) behind us... We went to a place called Saalbach-Hinterglemm the first day and to Filzmoos the second. I personally liked the second day better as it was more on my level, which to you should mean easier. Both places had some fantastic views. Here is a quick look...


It is really clear and sunny most of the time up in the Alps, you can see for miles...





The first day we did have some low lying clouds towards the end of the day, but it wasn't a complete white out going down the mountain. Everyone seemed to be careful in the bad spots...and it turned icy as well at the end of the first day which is not very fun. But it was pretty! You can see the snow covered resevoir in this picture.

More clouds and more pretty...

Here I am at the top looking out apprehensively at the clouds and icy slopes below!

And then there is TJ getting ready for the last run of the first day!

The second day was much better. We went to a different area that had more powder and easier slopes. I also like the weather, people, and the cheaper prices a little better. It was a little smaller, but had a lot of connecting neighboring slopes, and it made it easy for TJ and I to seperate and meet up later. The other place was far too big to go out on our own and then attempt to meet again. I continued to get better at carving (which is taking me forever) and TJ got to go like hell without worrying about me. It was fun! And then something cute happened. At the end of the day the ski school has a graduation, and no kidding these kids are like 3 years old. They hold up their nationality's flag and make their way down a giant hill for everyone to see. People clap and wait at the top for them to finish as they wave their flags. It was super cute, and far different from when I was in ski school all those years ago!
Here is a not so good picture of the end of the ceremony...

The first day TJ spent some time in the terrain park, and I found this sign a little funny so I thought I would share. This was Christmas day...a Thursday (Donnerstag, the last one)...and look what fun we could have had at the VIP party!


How fun, and I bet there were more men than women! Actually TJ and I want to do the Apres Ski thing after we board sometime as we have heard it is really fun! Everyone goes right after skiing to the bar, in their gear, to drink and sing cheesy American songs. I think we are going with some Germans at the end of February. Until then we will probaly stay a little closer to home and snowboard in the Black Forest somewhere which is just south of us.
We had a great time over Christmas and also a really great time in Dublin over the New Year. I plan to blog about the New Year's trip over the course of a few days this week, so stay tuned. For now I will leave you with a little piece of TJ boarding in the terrain park at Saalbach-Hinterglemm. Push play and enjoy!
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: