Monday, March 2, 2009

Staying in Praxmar, Austria

I believe I mentioned in my last post that our accomodations might be a little sketchy in Austria because we went with a group of Germans that made them for us. The answer to "So were the accomodations sketchy?" is definitely, oh yes. Lets start at the beginning...
TJ and I left late do to problems at work that needed to be taken care of first, and then of course it made us get there late...around nine at night. This is what the hotel looked like during the day, but we couldn't tell at night...very German and cute with an unGodly amount of wood everywhere. Any way, we head on in and find out we are the last of the twelve to get there and check in because everyone had to be there earlier for a snow shoe training. The problem here is that when you are the last two over the tenth person, you are put into another 10 person room of people that you don't know..ya see they don't rent rooms they rent beds sort of like a hostile. But we didn't really find this out until after dinner because that is when we had to check in. So all through dinner terror and horror consumed me as I wondered what we were in for. TJ asked if I was okay about thirty times. Why? Because aside from the wood and bringing sleeping bags...this is how the place was decorated:
Yep that is a stuffed goat and there are many antlers all over the wall. Not exactly me. As we were finally checking in and finding out about our room, in walk Konrad and Tobias (German friends) from their training and they help me up to the room with some of the bags while TJ runs out to get other things. This is when I knew it was going to be really bad:

This would be the coed shower in the hallway. You can't see it but there is another one in the same space and yes that is a pocket door minus a lock. So you could be taking a shower and a complete stranger, and possibly of a different sex, could jump in the shower across from you to take their shower. YIKES! Then we get to our room. Inside the tiny room there are a bunch of men in the line of bunk beds, and then an empty bunk at the end for T and I. It was dark but I could see the giant mole and hairy back that would be sleeping about two feet away. The eyes began to water and sting...and I wanted to rip my nose off because it smelled in there like B.O. And when I turned around Konrad and Tobias had disappeared. I then left the room and stood in the landing to collect my thoughts and talk myself into not crying. TJ then started coming up the steps and Konrad and Tobias reappeared to reassure me they were looking for other accomdations for us and that we could not sleep in there. I was sort of relieved as I was unsure of where else in that hell hole we could stay. Konrad told me that he was shocked of how small the room was and the smell that was terrible. Most of all he didn't want us sleeping in a room full of smelly French guys- neither did I for different reasons as the French part was the driving point behind his reasoning (Germans don't love the French and vice versa). So very luckily we got a different room in the attic all to oursleves. There we a couple of other smaller rooms upstairs that were also full. Here is the stairway going up...

And then our room, and yes the room is for four and those are mattresses on the floor.

We then went downstairs and proceeded to drink with the others. The good part about this place are the views. It sits in a remote place above Innsbruck and it is very pretty. Before we went boarding the next day we took these shots...



I will get more into the boarding situation tomorrow as it was fun but extremely eventful. We got back around 4:30 that day to get to the showers first. That was a win as Astrid (the other girl on the trip) guarded it while we showered, and then TJ reciprocated by guarding her. Thank God she was there! After showers we were on to drinks then dinner...and then more drinks!
We had our own table for our group for the weekend, here is a picture of TJ and I at that table.
And then Astrid (my shower savior) and I... a little girl power picture. I especially like her because she told me that something I said in German was perfect. That always makes me feel good!
We didn't do the whole Apres Ski thing as we stayed quite a distance away, but we had our own at our table. I learned a lot, like how to say insults in German (thank you Tobias), and the significance of schnapps to Germans. They (not me, as I have done this before and did not like it) did several rounds of a special schnapps shot called Williams...but they called it Willi for short. Here is that photo...

They love Willi so much that before we went boarding that day, Tobias called us over where he gave us two cans of the stuff to drink on the slopes. FYI, it is not so good, and they remind me of cans of cat food! It was sweet of him to include us in this tradition though.

This kind is pear flavored.
Many lessons were learned this weekend, and we did have fun...but you can bet I will not be doing this again...I need at least a three star hotel otherwise it seems like roughing it and I just don't do that very well. I am certainly not partial to sharing a bathroom and unlockable showers with anyone. This takes me out of our German Friends trip for next year...they are organizing a dog sledding trip in northern Sweden where they stay in huts in the middle of no where each night. I think I will definitely pass.
There will be more on snowboarding tomorrow as that was super fun and a great hi-lite to the weekend. Stay tuned!
Auf Wiedersehen.

1 comment:

The Grinstead Family said...

I'm pretty sure that I would have cried, no sobbed if I thought I was going to have to share a room with smelly French men. I am not sure I can share a room with my siblings anymore!