Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Super Bowl Party

We went to our belated Super Bowl party last night and had some good food and watched the game with our reoccurring mini-group within the ex-pat community. First lets talk about the fact that we were watching it on Sky Sports, which is a British Sports Channel. The commentating was the worst...in history. It made for some good laughs though. Surprisingly most people were most like me in that they just wanted to see the game and wanted it to be good...and all but one person didn't really care who won. I am a little sad that Arizona didn't win simply because I LOVE Arizona, but they didn't deserve to as you all know that Pitt played a better game. I think the hi-light of the night was getting to see Kurt Warner's wife. We were all expecting her in her crazy butch state (like she was at his last Super Bowl)... no such luck...apparently Arizona has been good to her and she looks more rested. Personally I think her hair has quite a lot to do with how much better she looked. Or maybe Arizona is really the fountain of youth for some...that would explain why there is a large migration of old people to the valley from mid-October through Easter! I also learned somethings about teenage drinking here. Only one couple in our little group has kids and the oldest daughter is about to turn 16. Anyway, I love hearing about teenage girl issues so when she mentioned drinking I tuned in. The daughter is turning 16 (legal German drinking age) in June, but she wanted to go to a friend's birthday party at a bar this weekend. Well she can't get into the bar because you have to be 16 (if you can believe that). So she told her parents that she was going to need a fake to get in! Love it! I personally loved it as it was not long ago that I needed a fake ID just to get into the Union in Iowa City...I can relate...only I was a little older and not living with my parents. I thought it was cute that she was completely honest with them although she was not granted an ID and won't be going to the party. It is true, teen drinking is a whole different thing here! I hope to see her at the Fasching Parade to hear more about teen life.
The party continued to be productive with fun travel ideas. The host is an avid sports man and runner so we were planning race locations. So far I know I want to run something in April...and he wants to do a half marathon in either Tromso, Norway (inside the Arctic Circle...way North) or the Iceland half at the end of the summer. I would like to go both places before we leave Europe, so stay tuned for a decision. We were also invited by one of our favorite couples, Kristi and Darren, to go to the Alps for Valentine's Day weekend. Traditionally TJ and I haven't been big celebrators of this pseudo holiday since I moved back from Arizona 6 Valentine's Days ago. We usually do dinner, or not depending on who is where on that day. Of course, by now you know us and if it involves a day of snowboarding we are in!
The next get together for our group is the Fasching Parade in February. They do a Mardi-Gras type celebration throughout Germany called one of several things depending on the region...Fasching, FastNacht, or Karnival. They do the dressing up thing with masks...to chase away the winter, of course. And it ties to Lent (called Fastzeit) as a lot of Germans are catholic. The parade is kid friendly, but apparently Mannheim has quite a celebration for one night and it can get out of hand. Again...stay tuned.
Auf Wiedersehen

No comments: