Friday, February 6, 2009

Saunas and Spas

I think it is time that I introduced eveyone to the idea that I cannot get on board with...German Saunas and Spas. Okay, Germans are really into their spa going...and I am not talking about facials and what-not. Inside these "spas" are Saunas that can be co-ed and are always without clothing. Yep...are you shocked? Its not just the sauna area either, at my gym's location in Schwetzingen there is an entire third floor of this happening. Complete with pool, sauna, steam, and sun deck where a towel is permitted, but no clothing. Here are a few photos of my gym advertising this spa area...
In the pool...no clothes... In the sauna...towels and underneath them, nothing...
Now there is a women's only sauna (I've heard, but they never wear their towels) at this location and also a co-ed one. Now I haven't been (for obvious reasons) but have heard stories. When one of my American friends first got here she unknowingly went into the sauna with a towel over her bathing suit. When she took off the towel the men and women started yelling at her in German. She ran out an realized they were telling her to take her suit off because "kleidung verboten". I would have never gone back...she however decided to become as free as the Germans and bask in the sauna greatness. Another friend told me that it is not a big deal, and theat she goes in from time to time. I just can't...I don't think I have the "I'm okay being naked in front of people gene".
I have some fantastic reasons for why I won't do it...
1. What if I see someone I know?
2. What if someone TJ works with sees me naked and I have to see them as well?
3. If people whisper...how do I know its not about me?
4. Old naked men could easily be frightening.
5. I'm American
I think these are very good reasons. And what I really want to know...Is going into the sauna really that great anyway? And, is it really better to swim naked when there is a pool downstairs that requires a swim suit? I doubt I will find out...
Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some thoughts:

> 1. What if I see someone I know?

so what! (s)he is also naked.

> 2. What if someone TJ works with sees
> me naked and I have to see them as
> well?

and? where's the problem? Naked bodies are natural. Nothing special about it.

> 3. If people whisper...how do I
> know its not about me?

in a german sauna, no one whispers. You should not talk in a sauna.

> 4. Old naked men could easily be
> frightening.

lol. You see also old naked women. Trust me, it's no problem at all.

> 5. I'm American

I guess, *THAT's* the main problem. Americans are just prude. Being naked is nothing special, at least in Germany. Please try it for yourself. To get used to it, first just try a women-only sauna (yes, naked). And eventually, try the co-ed ones.

And yes, Sauna is the best thing since sliced bread. ;-)

regards from Germany.
Stefan