Friday, December 12, 2008

Strasbourg, France Marche de Noel

The Strasbourg Christmas Market has been going on since the mid 1500s and is the largest in France. Hazel and I could not pass this one is only an hour and a half from us. Strasbourg is a very cool town, but the Christmas Market is really something. The bulk of it surrounds the Cathedral of Notre Dame in the center of the city. Here is a photo of the massive church in the center. There are a ton of huts and people as well as another sweet little ice rink with festive music and decorations. Hazel and I spent hours there today. It really feels like Christmas and makes you want to shop...even though it was entirely too cold. And that is exactly what we did! Here are a couple of pictures of the market itself...

This one is a picture of a square just off the shoppong district that has a fun ride area for kids. I love the architecture in this town. It is also much bigger than I had expected.

We had lunch at a really cute french cafe and also endulged in the local treat of the holiday season pictured below...
Yes I know it looks like a nipple, but is actually a chocolate mousse filled bell. Yummy, much better than the schneeball from yesterday. I would actually love to see the market, and the city at night as each passage way of the city center is decorated differently and I am sure lights up beautifully. Next year I may take TJ and stay the night to get into the social aspect of this market. It is a very busy place, so if you do go make sure to be ready to wait in line for some popular items. Also, even though you might hear that this is mostly a German town simply located in France, french is definitely the language and most do not speak much english.
So far I have been to three markets, Heidelberg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and Strasbourg. I would like to get to Mannheim and Schwetzingen in the next week to see what they are like.
As for this weekend, it looks like homework and workouts. The bright spot would be an invitation I received from German friends to go to an improv show tomorrow night that is being performed in english. It should be fun! I will let you know on Monday...Schones Wochenende and, Auf Wiedersehen!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oooooooo...can't wait! And I speak a little French :) If you know what I mean!

TJ said...

can't wait to hit it up with you guys! looks like a nice city.