Friday, December 5, 2008

Rome Necessities

After going to Rome there are certain things that I would not be without when traveling there. I have decided to compile a list to help those of you who haven't gone so you can be prepared. This list might actually help in any city as you travel through Europe...so these are the things you should take:

1. A city map. I would have one complete with train information as well. TJ and I both had one and used them all the time. I would have one before hand and then also pick up another one at the airport as that one does have the train info. If you dare to take a taxi on your own, you may get ripped off...make sure and ask how much it costs before accepting the ride. I'd get a train map. The one at the airport is free.

2. Fantastic walking shoes. Yes Rome is a fun and trendy place where high heels are fashionable, BUT the next day will be miserable if you wear bad shoes. I would recommend two pairs and alternate them. I did this with my Born flats and my totally comfortable Keen mary janes and had no pain or soreness. What most of you may not know is that there are the strangest giant smooth cobble stones all throughout the city, and walking there is not like walking anywhere else. Save you feet, bring comfy shoes!

3. A camera. For obvious reasons, and if you can take along your own personal photographer as I did it can make the trip even better!

4. A sling pack. I stole this idea from Mel and Whittle when they were at Oktoberfest with us. it is a backpack with only one strap and it goes over your head. It is perfectly comfortable and handy. Also, pick pockets run rampid through the city and it can be a safety precaution. For those of you in Mannheim, I purchased mine at Engelhorn Sports. They only have two on the 4th floor. Mine was a Jack Wolfskin, the cheaper version at 40 EUR. It is worth every penny!

5. An umbrella. Our weather was beautiful one minute and a downpour at others. If you forget yours it is okay, I picked mine up at a street vendor for 10 EUR. And you can easily put it in the sling pack when you don't need it.

6. An empty suitcase. It is a shoppers paradise if you like that sort of thing. TJ and I boosted the Italian economy a little, buying things for ourselves and others for Christmas. Things seem to be much more inexpensive there and great quality!

7. An empty stomach. The food is crazy good! We ate and drank our weight in Italian food and wine, and looked forward to every meal. Walking the city creates quite an appetite...and don't skimp. The best way to do it is to do every course and take a long while to eat. Tipping...is not necessary as we were told, but if you receive good service or they know you are an American and tip, 10% is considered wonderful.

It is also best to have the tours booked that you want to take before hand, as in some big cities they may already be booked or they may need a few day lead time. I hope this helps all of you future travelers!
Our next big trip is Christmas and we are going to Salzburg, Austria for 4 nights. It will be a mix of city exploring (which I heard is amazing) and snowboarding. This one should come up quick...Christmas Eve is only 19 days away! As for the days in between while TJ is in the US, I will be trying to hit various Christmas Markets (in Germany they are called Weihnachts Markt) in the area. For sure the local ones, and then maybe some day trippers. I will keep you posted!
For now I will wish you Schones Wochenende (have a good weekend)!
Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you :)