Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Heidelberger Weihnachtsmarkt

Last night I received an invitation from my friend Hazel and her man Wilhelm to go to the Heidelberg Christmas Market. It is so cute! This was primarily a social trip to the Market as at night most people come out for the Gluhwein (hot, spiced red wine) rather than the shopping huts. FYI, I have decided that my favorite Gluhwein flavor is amaretto. If I could figure out how to make it, I would bring it back for a holiday festivity upon our return. This is a picture of Hazel and I drinking this wonder out of special mugs. Each market will have mugs that you pay a deposit for and then use for the night. If you choose to return them then you get your 2 EUR back, if not then you can take it home. I liked this one so I kept it! It was special because it has the name and the year on the mug along with cute illustrations of Heidelberg. I love how the Germans do not waste...you will not find a disposable plastic cup anywhere!
The Heidelberg Market has three areas in three different platz, so if you go, don't just stop at the first one you come upon. This photo is the platz next to the really old church. You can't miss it!
I liked the one on the Markt Platz the best as it was a bit more romantic for me. It is sort of at one end and under the castle (which didn't turn out due to lighting). Isn't it pretty and simply adorable?

Of course my favorite part of the Markt Platz is the sweetest little ice rink with curtains of strung lights behind it. I wish I would have brought my skates!

Hazel and I have decided to take ourselves on the road this week to a couple different markets in driving distance to shop and check them out, so I will have more to show by weeks end.
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: