Monday, June 29, 2009

Weekend Update

This weekend we had a lot of fun just hanging around here. Friday we stayed at home, although that didn't stop TJ from harassing me about going to the Transformers movie with him. I went to Star Trek (hate), Terminator (ok) and thought I was done with movies I didn't want to see and then this one comes out! I will probably go just because T really wants to see it...I just hope its not as bad as Star Trek! Any way we stayed in and watched Gran Torino and loved it!!!! Clint is awesome!
After a great long workout we went to Heidelberg on Saturday to meet up with some friends we haven't gone out with in a long time. And it was soooo fun, probably too fun. We met Debbie, Kristi, Darren, some other Americans at the Bier Bretzel for dinner and horn drinking. TJ and I were able to get a couple good pictures at this place and then it is sort of down hill from here.

The Bier Bretzel (Beer Pretzel) is most known for drinking beer out of horns...so we did!

Prost!

Then as we drank we started getting some great ideas...here is just one where we transformed Iowa Debbie into Viking Debbie with the horns. It was much funnier at the time!


We left the restaurant and headed to the Dubliner to a military going away party. It was fun, but really hot...you know there is no AC here. Even at the gym they keep it near 70F. Its not horrible yet...but we are getting there. On the way to the Dubliner we saw the 12th century church lit up in green. Pretty!

The last pic we ended up getting was one of the Hauptstasse at night. It is a very happening place...but our night didn't end there.

We went to a place we didn't know existed there. Its called the Unterstrasse and it is full of bars! It is a nice surprise because Germany doesn't have a lot of bars...mostly restaurants with a bar in them, so you can imagine our delight once we found it! I don't know what hapened to us from the Dubliner on...but we were a mess at the end of the night. In fact, the next day we were not feeling well at all! This is bad because Darren, Kristi, and us all had an ex-pat picnic to go to at 4:00 pm.
The picnic wasn't bad, in fact I was surprised at how nice it was. The only bad part was we all just felt ill. There close to 70 ex-pats there and I only knew about half as there are a ton of new people. We were able to catch up with old neighbors from the QC and meet the new arrivals. It was great as I met the husband of a family I know that is moving here and I will be very excited once his wife arrives! Also I caught up with my friend Karen who travels with the company a lot and that was fun. After the BBQ, Karen, T, and I met Steffi in Schwetzingen for a nightcap. Steffi is great and one of my favorite Germans! So Sunday started out miserable and got progressively better!
This week is supposed to be sunny and hot...so you can find me laying in it all week at Luisenpark!
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: