Friday, June 26, 2009

Firmen Cup 5K

Wednesday night was the Firmen Cup 5K at the Hockenheim Ring, which is a Formula 1 race track near Mannheim. A bunch of companies participate in the race, in fact, there were over 15,000 participants. The first race began at 6:00 for the near 3,000 inline skaters, and then at 7:15 around 12,000 runners ran their lap. One lap on this track is about a 5K. Then after the races the party begins!
Here is the company photo for TJ. I was also given a T-shirt as I was signed up with this group, but I opted to not wear it...it was so muggy and the shirt was too big. Instead I became a photographer.

Here we are pre-race at the company's meeting point with some of TJ's colleagues...

The start...

We thought we did pretty well until we found out that our friend Dirk came in 5th at around 15 minutes. I think we still finished well...TJ at 25 minutes and me at 26 roughly. It is hard to be sure as it was a fun run and we weren't chipped. Then the party began afterwards. There was a band and tons of vendors for food and beer, so we hung out with some others until about 9:30pm and then headed home. Here is one view of the festivities.

It was fun, but very buggy...which is weird for Germany. I am sure we will do it again next year!
This weekend we are going out with friends tomorrow night in Heidelberg to dinner and then afterwards we may go to a karaoke bar and pay tribute to Michael Jackson...but we will see. Then Sunday we have an ex-pat picnic (unless it rains). I will keep you posted!
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: