Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Our Berlin Nightlife

So I lied when I said I was blogging about Berlin sites today as I can't figure out how to extract photos from TJ's fancy camera. So instead I have some from our evenings as we took my camera. Our first night the weather was rotten (windy, rain, and cold) and we had been up since before 5 am to avoid traffic so we had drinks and dinner and stayed in our hotel that night. FYI the Crowne Plaza in west Berlin is not a happening place...which was perfect for our quiet night. We started by having drinks in the bier stube, Pimte, where I had my first Berliner Pils. I had it with a shot of raspberry which was heavenly. See...
Oh...FYI, I have this crazy eye infection to which I cannot wear contacts so all photos on this trip are in my lame glasses for a reason...
I do recommend this twist on a beer and I sucked down two very quickly as they were delicious! After dinner we caught some shut eye and prepared for our long next day.
When researching this trip I found a Berlin Insider Tour pub crawl and so that is what we did on Friday night. It started at 8:30 and took us to 5 lounges, bars, or clubs and included drink specials and a free shot at each bar...all for 12 EUR a piece. It was a fantastic deal! It was led by two Aussies that live in Berlin and they were so fun as they led over 100 people to different places around the city. We met some fun people, but easily our favorites were Carlos and Claudia. They are best friends that worked a summer at Disney together and decided to travel Europe this summer. Carlos is from Puerto Rico and Claudia is from Mexico and they were very fun! We met them towards the end of our time at the first bar. It was a samll place with a decent sized biergarten...here is a peak at the bar area.

The second bar was a little better...and oddly there was no line for the restroom...thus it was my favorite bar!

And these are our new friends with TJ at the second bar...

The only place I remember the name of was the third bar, the Silver Fish. I remember it because there were silver fish on the walls and it was a little bigger.

It was fun and we met more people including this guy...guess where he is from...

Of course I warned him tha he was sporting the wrong state school shirt and he disagreed as he is a recent graduate of that boring school. All joking aside he was a nice kid and it was fun to see someone from Iowa so far from home.
The fourth bar, AKA our last bar, was also fun and was at the hand of my drunken demise. Clearly you can see that Carlos and I were having a lovely time goofing off as we looked for Claudia. The bar was very big and in two parts plus a huge biergarten.

It is very easy to calculate that 5 or so Berliners and a shot at the four bars equaled TJ taking me back to the hotel. It was a smart move as we had to be at the meeting point for our 10 am tour the next day.
Our last day was very long so our night life included some caipirinahs and other drinks at a local mexican restaurant on Potsdammer Platz, and from there we walked around the city and took it all in before we had to go home the next day. Berlin is a fun city...you should go sometime! Tomorrow I hope to have the pictures of the main sites uploaded.
Auf Wiedershen!

No comments: