Friday, September 19, 2008

The Secret Gardens

The Secret Gardens are really not a secret I just thought they were. Actually that isn't true either as at first I thought they were really big nurseries that just happened to be beautiful and gated. I think it is one of the most unique things about our town and Germany in general that there are public gardens with plots to rent so that those who live in flats and do not have a yard can still garden in their own space. And it makes the town interesting and beautiful. There are over 100 plots in this particular garden and it is at the end of my block, only a few meters away. Here are a few photos...

Notice that people have little sheds on their plots and plant everything from trees to flowers and vegetables. Bec, there are even garden gnomes...everywhere. I like to walk Tut through and see what is going on. I like to observe which plots have flags of different countries flying on them, or if someone is entertaining. Today I saw a group of four 50-60 somethings having lunch on one of the plots, drinking wine and having a great time! It then occurred to me that we could rent a plot since we don't have a yard for Tut Anthony. Don't worry I would never attempt to garden it as I do not enjoy such tasks. I am not even looking forward to planting stuff in two pots to go on my balcony! Any way, I thought a German woman might like a place to garden for free...and of course Tj thinks I am crazy and Tut will be fine with his long walks 3-4 times a day!
TJ's boss is from our town and said that it used to be full of tobacco fields and known for its gardens. The street that TJ and I live on is called "Am Klumbengarten", which means on the Klumben garden (Klumben is a name, we think). I also think that we live on this street because it could easily be called Heidi Klumbengarten and that is who inspired my German blog! I hope you like the pictures and will come and visit the garden in person!
We are headed to the Weinfest in Bad Durkheim tomorrow and of course I will take my camera and let you know how the wine tastes!
Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful! I think your idea is a great one :)

If there are garden gnomes, you can count me in for a visit!