Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Let's Talk Laundry

Here she is, isn't she a beauty? Actually she is not. She is actually they as it is a stackable washer and dryer with very little capacity! Take a look as they are about two and a half feet wide and I can see the top...just to put it in perspective. They also sit behind the bathroom door very nicely.
The thing about this laundry machine that you do not know is the four day history of me using it...or attempting to use it! You see, every word is in German. Do I know which is delicate? No. Do I know where the permanent press is? Nope. So I put it on "Mix" as it has a decent time on it. First load of course was sopping wet! TJ figured out that there is an extra spin button that dries them more. Why would you need to do that? Oh, because the dryers here are rather inefficient, in my opinion. I have to take out a tank after every and dump the water, yep, dump the water as there are no pipes or vents to take the water out. That isn't even the annoying part...the annoying part would be that it takes three times as long to do the wash, and do the drying. Again you must ask why? Because you cannot wash and dry at the same time due to watt issues here, and your loads are at max 1/3 the size, also it should be mentioned that the cycles on each machine are longer! I have been doing laundry for four days!!! Four days!!! And yesterday I did not even leave the haus! What would be worse? I have the answer...Annie carrying her 80 lbs. of laundry to the German laundrymat via tram. So it could be worse. Bottom line is that I iss my giant washer and giant dryer as my laundry load has gone fro 5 loads per week to an easy 15!
One more thing, in a German haus you must air out the rooms for a few minutes each day to prevent water spots on the ceiling because of the harsh water. But, while you shower and do laundry they need to stay open. I can assure you that it makes for a damp and drafty four days!
Enjoy your washers and dryer, and for me please don't take them for granted!

Auf Wiedersehen!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I'll ever complain about laundry again!! Maybe all of their maids do their laundry, so the Germans haven't bothered to improve the system :)

Kelly Moore said...

I'm guessing your definition of "dirty" is about to change...