Thursday, September 25, 2008

Audi, Benz, and BMW

I have never in my life seen so many expensive cars dominating the road as I have seen here in Germany. And I will have you know that I lived in Scottsdale, Arizona...for nearly three years and there were plenty! I will say that having one of the three luxury vehicles mentioned above generally does not cost as much as having one in the states. Obviously, or TJ wouldn't have just ordered one. Yes, he ordered a car and it supposed to be ready in November...and that is uncommitted. Apparantly everyone has at least one (or almost everyone) as we cannot get one at the dealership and it takes time to manufacture and deliver. Granted I think most of them are made in Stuttgart, which is not far from here.
Why are there so many? Aside form the obvious that they are German cars, it is my observation that people here desire these cars for very different reasons than people in the US. Most of it would have to do with function and energy vs. vanity, social status, and comfort. I will blog in the future about Germans and their energy and environment, but it is true that these vehicles get tons of miles per gallon (or liter over here). The Germans and other Europeans also need higher performing cars as the second you get on the autobahn you must be going at least 100/km per hour and usually more than that. So fast cars are necessary or you will be run over. This I know as our loaner car is a french car that many of the Deere people simply laugh at, and frequently gets passed on the autobahn:)
Lets use the Mercedes Benz as an example...
Not only do people have them in every variety (and there are many more models here that we have never seen in the US) for personal use, people also have them as "work vehicles". The taxi's here are mosty Benz hatchbacks. We got off the tram last weekend and all the cabs were Benzies...and the one we took had leather heated seats! This is sure diferent from the dragon wagons we have in Iowa! Also the buses and vans are also made by Mercedes. If you go to the grocery store most of the cars will be BMW, Audi, or Mercedes, and then you may have a few Volkswagons and a couple french cars. I have even seen one Ford Explorer...but just one.
If you don't believe me on this one, just come over and visit and I will pick up your jaw from the floor as it still amazes me!

One more thing...on a personal and way off subject note!
I want to congratulate my friend Jen on her new position with Les Mills!!!! She is living our dream of working side by side with the best in fitness in the world. Check out the company online at www.lesmills.com. They offer the best fitness programs ever including my favorites of BODYPUMP, BODYSTEP, and RPM! Great job, Jen!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How much is a "liter" of petrol (do they call it that?)

Annie said...

Bec it is 3.8 liters to the gallon.

Unknown said...

How much is the price?

Annie said...

It cost about $85 EUR to fill up our 8 gallon tiny car!

Unknown said...

Damn!