Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dirty, Noisy, Smelly Men

I have to vent for a moment please. As many of you may know the apartment building that I live in has four units, 3 finished and 1 to go. Really the three that are finished are clearly not as I have had work men in and out for two weeks. I think the first major problem is with me as I cannot communicate with them entirely, so that is one thing (this includes my landlord who only speaks Turkish and German...not a lick of English). Lets first talk about them in my apartment. I would love for the workers to come in in one shot and do everything in a day or two. This is not what is happening. They will drop in one day and put a mirror up, then two days later mess with the radiators, another two days and someone comes in to finish the kitchen...blah blah and we still aren't done. With each one of those workers comes a fine white dust from the new paving outside on their shoes and then they track it everywhere. I have washed rugs a couple times and have vaccumed and mopped almost daily! It has become more than an annoyance. The workers also create a mess for each job and then do not clean it up.
Lets talk about the noise. It goes from 7:45 to 18:00...all day! For two days I have had a man outside my door drilling through steel. Some days they are sawing tile or paving stones, and other days they are banging, yelling, and welding. It is so noisey here and it is bound to last another month. Tut and I might need ear plugs soon.
Here comes the next problem and the worst one. This is what is truly unfathomable, the odor that accompanies them where ever they go. The odor can be in the building or in my apartment and it has the same potency. It is the kind of body odor that has found its way deep into their clothing and festers there. No amount of detergent can cure this. The current situation right now is the man outside my door working on the railing. His odor has made its way into my house and I have 8 candles burning...I can still smell it! And to make it much, much worse each one of them smokes...chain smokes all day. They are smoking in the hall and in the to be new apartment and of course it finds its way right in here! The two odors together are physically nausiating!
Tut and I have resorted to going out more and longer, but the dirt, noise, and smell are waiting for us when we walk in the door. Wish us luck through this process as we wll need it!

Auf Wiedersehen

1 comment:

Kelly Moore said...

I think I can smell them over here. Oh wait, nope. That's my stupid oven.