Thursday, September 18, 2008

Coffee With the Americans...and Some Others

Yesterday I spent the morning at another American family's home enjoying coffee and conversation with other John Deere wives that are settled in the area for assignments much like ours. There were mostly American wives and then a German and South African wife as well. It was so much fun! Not only did we have a great American brunch, but I was able speak to other American women who were speaking english. I know it sounds silly but I have no idea what anyone is saying here unless they use gestures!
It was fun and educational all at the same time. First, I will put it out there...I am the only one without children and that is okay because all of their kids were at school so I didn't feel like I was the only one without kids. They think it is great we don't have kids yet because then we can travel whenever without worrying about the school schedule or traveling the same time everyone else does. So that is helpful. I have also learned about what kinds of car stickers to get when going to other countries, when to fly, and of course when to take the train. One of the wives must have been here for at least a year and she is a wealth of information. This particular woman is also a TV junky so she has given me great pointers on how to get the best satellite TV (apparently some guy knows another guy...). She also has already emailed me an ex-patriot list of where to travel and at what times of the year are best. She also noted which ones were good weekend and day trips as opposed to which ones would be great to spend 5-7 days visiting. She has certainly made it easier!
I have been combing through that list since I have received it because TJ and I want to travel quite a bit. We will take a bunch of small day trips to places 1-2 hours away where we can take the dog, and also go to barrier countries for weekend trips. Right now T and I are deciding which big trip to book. I would like to do a cruise of the Greek Islands and Turkish coast and TJ wants to do Madrid and Barcelona. Both are warm in October and beginning of November so either would be great. If you have been or want to cast your vote of where we should go, let me know!
Aside from fabulous American conversation our little group has somewhat of a purpose in that we plan events for the ex-patriots. Right now we are planning Thanksgiving and will finalize next month. This is the great part about having a German Deere wife in the mix as she knows which places would host it. I love her, she is definitely the matriarch of the group and everyone loves her! We also do a Christmas party, and a 4th of July cookout, as well as our monthly get togethers. I look forward to the regular company and duties of helping this group.
All in all the day was a success...until I got locked out and that is a whole different story! Until tomorrow...

Auf Wiedersehen