Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekend Update

Even though we didn't travel this weekend, it seems as though we did an awful lot. Of course our camera battery died so unfortunately I have not a picture for you to see all the fun we had. Lets rewind to Thursday for the pumpkin pie fiasco of 2008. So I know I have complained incessantly about my oven, but having to cook a pie for two and a half hours is beyond me. I didn't want to mess the pie up, so I did a little online research...which apparrently turned out to be false. Before you cook a pumpkin pie in a convection oven, please consult with me first. It actually turned out to be very good (thank God) for the ex-pat Thanksgiving on Friday night. It was great to get together with other Americans for a traditional meal in a far away land. We started with pumpkin soup (fabulous) and then had your basic turkey, beans, corn, potatoes and gravy. I didn't include stuffing as what was served was not really stuffing. It was more like a sausage meatloaf, according to TJ. I of course, after hearing that did not test the taste buds. Post Thanksgiving we went to downtown Schwetzingen for a night cap with two other couples.
Saturday didn't start well as I woke up to a dusting of snow. I swear Mother Nature follows me around every place I go to hand me the worst winter in years to each place. Last year in Iowa it was claimed to be the worst winter since 1978 (yep, the year I was born), and now we have snow in Mannheim in November. My apologies, Germany. Other than that it was filled with paper writing as my final paper for my current class was due today, and then we went to a party at one TJ's co-worker's flat. That was interesting as we were the only Americans, but thankfully most spoke English. We had a lot of fun with three couples mainly as they were the ones that we went to the Discothek with. Yep, my very first experience in a German Discothek! It might interest all of you to know that aside from the smoke and speaking German to bartenders...it was exactly like a bar in the US. I would say the one we were at, Soho, was a lot like Brothers in Iowa City except maybe a little darker, but pretty much the same environment and the same music. It was fun and I will do it again. The only thing that was missing was my girlfriends...miss you guys!
Sunday was perfect. We layed around! That's all from here...Auf Wiedersehen!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!! The Discothek! Would you compare it to Bar, Bar or Last Call? Because we've had some of the best times of our lives there!!! Can't wait to tear up the Discotheks when I come!

Annie said...

Yes it is more like Bar, Bar! We did love that one!