Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Snowboarding

The ski and snowboarding runs were beautiful and wide open. Of course, we were in a dead zone so there were no trees to contend with. The views were surprising and unbelievable...it was hard not to be enchanted by the scenary, that is unless you spent most of your time tumbling. But we will get to that a little later.
I mentioned yesterday that it was a huge production to get up there. We got to the lift and took a gondola to another station, and then from there took a cable bus that lifted us and 123 of our other closest friends to which ever mountain chosen. By the time we got up to the ski area we were starving! So our first stop was the cafeteria. It was surprisingly warm, so we opted for the outdoors and view of the Matterhorn. Here is a peak...

Below is a picture of the open runs. It is all electronic and you can shoose which areas you want to take the lift to. There are so many!

TJ got a great photo while taking a lift. The runs are very, very long and extremely wide...and steep...very steep.


Behing the mountain we were on we saw some more runs below. Without trees you can see forever!


So at the top of the first lift we took, we turned around to find the most amazing views of the Swiss Alps. These are my favorite pictures.


And another one...

And another. We were extremely lucky to have clear blue skies for the best photos

Like I said before, the runs are wide and long, and very well groomed. There is a large amount of powder on each side of the runs and you can go off and carve through it. No body goes really far as their are giant rocks in the midst of them, covered with snow.
TJ is a very good snowboarder and very comfortable on most slopes. As for me...not so much. I really like it and strive to be better, but I am just not there yet as this is my 7th or 8th time. Okay so TJ gracefully motored down the slopes and then waited for me as I cautiously made it down to him. It is safe to say that I was out of my league! It was still fun though, and the conditions were good...warm without wind. Here is a picture of my favorite boarder with the Matterhorn behind him.


And then a pix of us together. Please excuse my giant goggles, they were TJs from last year and mine are MIA.

I wanted to put up some boarding videos of the two of us, but I am going to have to upload them over night because they are so big. Look for them tomorrow!
Auf Wiedersehen!