Monday, October 20, 2008

Weekend Update

Our weekend was pretty low key as we stayed close to home. Unexpectedly on Friday we received an invite to meet some friends at Enchiladas, a Mexican place in Mannheim. Since maragitas are my favorite and I have not found a good one yet the answer was obviously yes! Good news...they knew what top-shelf tequilla was and had the best Mexican we have had over here so far. We hung our with Kristi and Darren, and two other German couples. Many margs later TJ and I found ourselves on the tram home for a good nights sleep.
Here is a picture of Krisit and I 3 drinks in...
Saturday was cleaning day because we had people over that night in celebration of our town's kerwe festival. We attempted to go to the Kerwe, but it was dead and super lame so we headed to a great little Italian place on the Hauptstrasse for a great meal and wonderful German beer. I wish we had pictures but we didn't take any. It was just two ex-pat friends of ours along with my South African friend, Hazel, that I met from language school and her fiance. Tut was performing for them all before we headed out. He loved having company over again!
Sunday started and ended with homework, but the middle was awesome. TJ and I went for a long bike ride to our favorite place in the area, Heidelberg. The ride was about 26 km round trip and it felt great! Once we got there we decided to find the trail that takes you up into the hills. We really wanted to find the ampitheatre where Hitler and the Third Reich rallied, but were unprepared and ended up just hiking about the forest. We figured out where it is on google maps and may try again next Sunday unless we are too tired from spending Saturday in Luxembourg. Here are some photos of beautiful Heidelberg!
This one is about half way up to where we went over looking the Neckar River...

TJ with Schloss (castle) Heidelberg in the back... The forest was breath-taking! It was really bright for being completely covered with trees.
And a repeat that I cannot figure out how to get rid of...Uughhhh!!!
A clearing and you can really see the leaves start to change.

A look out from just below where we hiked. And another...

The first part of the hike was a steep and very narrow cobblestone path...coming down was trickier than going up...and there were girls with heels on trying this, they were crazy!
I am sure this is not the last you will see of Heidelberg as we love going there. Next time Tut goes too. FYI, the sling pack I am wearing is the best 30 EUR I have spent since arriving. It is the best travel bag! After the hike we went to the square across the river and had Flamkuchen (a flat bread white pizza) and then rode home! All in all a great weekend, but I am excited to hit the road again when we take a day trip to Luxembourg City and the tiny town of Ernster on Saturday. Ernster is my mother's maiden name and I can't wait to check out the town of my ancestors!
No Deutsch today, sorry I am buried in my MBA.
Auf Wiedersehen


3 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like a great weekend! The pictures are beautiful!

The Grinstead Family said...

I'm dying to hear about Ernster...do you think the town is as nutty as our Ernster's are???

Annie said...

God, I hope not..although there are only 344 people that live in the town so I will quickly find out!