Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cultural Differences

I think I mentioned before that my German class is very culturally diverse, but let me break it down for you. There are twelve in my class including me, 2 Russians, 1 South African, 5 Libyans, 1 Korean, 1 Italian, and then another from Quatar. Out of these people half are women and half are men and we are all of different ages. I think we range from 20-40 years-old and all in different places in our lives. All the Libyans as well as the guy from Quatar are doctors of various specialities that are planning to practive in Germany for a few years. They have to take the course because all of them must pass and written and practical language test before they can work in the hospitals, so they will be doing the all four language courses in 8 months (I might take two, but 4 classes seems impossible!). The Italian and the girls from Siberia are younger and are planning to attend a university in the country. Classes here are all in German, so they have to know the language as well, but I don't think they have to do all four. My favorite friends are from Korea and Africa. The Korean is an engineer and is planning to work here as most would like to as the Germans are very innovative in engineering. And my buddy, Hazel, is marrying a German citizen, but cannot become a German citizen until she passes a language exam. And then there is me...I just want to shop and order food without any misunderstanding...like the one I had yesterday. I will get to that.
So clearly there are cultural differences when you have people from all over the world in one room. Hazel and I love to see the Libyan women's faces when they see what the Russian girls come in wearing each day. It is night and day between the two of them! And then Hazel and I are in the middle. Each day I noticed something interesting that makes us all different, but today I was fascinated. Here's the story...we all had to go up and do some research in library and for the first time left our classroom as an organized group. Without missing a beat, each guy got to the door every one of them stopped and waited for all of the women and the professor to leave. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I was the last to leave the room and almost waited for them to go ahead of me. I mean really, I can't think of a single time that a group of guys did that ever in my presence. And then they did it again when we got upstairs! Hazel and I were laughing as in the US anyone male or female would have tried to get out of the room just to be first. I know its not that big of a deal, but I thought it was cool.
This story comes at a great time as I had my first "God I wish I spoke German" moment. This would be the moment that I felt like a stupid foreigner that had no business trying to speak the little German I know...and then of course making it worse by supplementing it with English! So I have these really cute Franco Sarto riding boots that I got at the end of last year for something like $40. One problem, they are about 2 inches too long. So I have been searching high and low for a shoe place to chop off a few inches, and found one while talking to the dry cleaner (who is by the way thrilled at my progress with the language). Any way she told me to go the the Schuhmacher and so I did. Have you ever seen Pinocchio? Well, I think I met the ancient guy from that movie (complete with cuckoo clock on the wall) and I knew instantly I was in trouble. He asked me what I wanted and I told him the best I could, and then he gave me a look. So then I took the boot out and tried to show him. He shook his head and waved me off! He spoke zero English and was irritated that I didn't completely know what I was saying. I can't blame him but find it very hard to believe that he didn't understand my excellent attempt at charades. I will try again, but this time I may try a Schuhmacher in the Parade Platz of Mannheim where English is a primary language. I miss you Fox Shoes in Augusta...I know they could do it for me!
Even though I am sad about not having wearable fall riding boots at the moment, I have to say I do enjoy seeing all of the cultural differences between the US and all the people I encounter here. It is so educational and eye-opening!
Auf Wiedersehen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm picturing you in Geppetto's little shop. And I'm laughing. Good story: )

Annie said...

Oh yeah, his name is Geppetto! I couldn't remember the name, but sure recognized the face!