Thursday, October 30, 2008

A New Day

So I am having a much better day today. I have had the brows done, made a hair appointment with a very hard to find Aveda Salon with someone that speaks English, and I get to pick up my boots from the Shuhmacher tomorrow...oh yeah and one more day until the weekend! Deutsch is also better, but not amazing enough to talk about. But the absolute best part about today is that both TJ and I have mailed our absentee election ballots. It feels so good doing my American duty from so far away (even though it was expensive). I am not one to blab about who I voted for, but I can say that I certainly look great in blue and have a small fear of elephants (hint, hint)! To do this important task, I went to the Deutsche Post in the Mannheim Zentrum (city center) thinking surely they would know English...wrong! But I believe I did well on the fly as she seemed to understand everything I was attempting to say. Oh well, it felt good to do it anyway!
It is very interesting being here during the election season as everyone keeps asking me who is going to win. Its like they think I have a crystal ball and predict the future...not really, but that is the most popular question asked by people Germany and all over the world. Even Francois, our tour guide in Luxembourg wanted to know. And all I say is, "I wish I knew". I never realized how important our elections are and how it effects many others in the world. It makes me almost feel bad that I didn't even know who the German Chancellor is until a week ago when we were discussing Berlin in class, and most people here can recite everyone in Bush's family and those in his cabinet. FYI, the German Chancellor is Angela Merkel.
Tomorrow starts the weekend and TJ and I are staying here. It should be low key and wonderful. One thing I hope to do before the weekend is blog about my favorite household amenity...don't worry, you are sure to be jealous!
Until then, Auf Wiedersehen!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Glad to see where your vote has landed! I miss our discussions about politics! Annie your just a bubble full of knowledge and I learned so much from you! Enjoy the weekend!

Annie said...

Make sure and inform Lee for me!