Thursday, October 16, 2008

Unser Hund, Tut

The title of this post is, "Our dog, Tut". And it is all about my favorite dog in the whole wide world. So, dog-haters you might as well stop reading now because other than the German lesson, today is Tut's post.
I never thought about how hard the move might be on Tut, other than the flight over. I thought he would be supremely happy with me at home a lot and him getting to go everywhere. He is happy, but supremely happy is at Grandma's where the squirrels are many and he gets seriously pampered. To his detriment he went from dog heaven at my parents to Deutschand.
We live in a dreifamilienhaus, or a three family house...so technically a big apartment. The problem for Tut is that he can't just go out like he could in the US because we don't have a yard. He has never been outside here without his leash as he would run and most-likely get hit by a car. His freedom has sort of slipped away. He still loves to look out the window, but if he sees something he wants he can only sit inside and whine. It is sort of sad! Next problem for Tut is there are no dog parks here. None. In fact there is not a single completely fenced in area, thus he cannot run freely. He can't even run with me as I would certainly get whiplash as he constantly wants to stop and sniff! Seriously him running with either of us is out.
As for Tut spending a ton of time with us, that kind of can't happen right now either. I am gone from about 7:30 to 3:00 with school and a workout, and then TJ works. He can go some places, but not every where and we have been traveling a bit on the weekend. Don't get me wrong, he still has a better life than most canine companions (except maybe Ellie)...and we do hang out quite a bit, but I have to admit I have a little guilt. I think it was triggered today because he couldn't go for a sizable walk due to the down pour we have had today.
Here are a couple of pictures I took the other day of him sitting in his chair looking outside.
He really wishes a squirrel would appear, but you would be hard pressed to find one here.
This looks like a cute picture, but he was glaring at me because he didn't want me to move him.
I was having a bit of guilt because we didn't take him with us this weekend to any of our destinations so I made him a little plate at dinner. It consisted of some dog food, roasted potatoes and chicken gravy, and a small piece of cut up pork chop. He couldn't eat it fast enough!
Although Tut is bored most of the day, things will be looking up for him as we are in Seckenheim all weekend. This weekend is the Seckenheim Kerwe (Curva) Hock. It is a fun little festival with tons of people and good food and drink, and of course during the day Tut will get to go too. I will be sure to take pictures of the celebration and post them next week.
Time for German. Since I started the post with a noun I will continue with some vocab. German is not like English as we say "the" whether a word is feminine, masculine, or neutral...not the case in Germany. "The" is either der (masculine), das (neutral), or die (feminine or plural). So Tut is der Hund, or if their is more than one it is die Hunde. Also in German all nouns are capitalized and there is not a rule as to which ones are masculine, feminine, or neutral...which sucks. In this case I long for the rules of the Spanish language as I have to just memorize them all!
The question could be, What is this? or "Was ist das?" (vas eest das), and the answer could be "Das ist..."
der Hund (hoond) the dog
die Katze (catzuh) the cat
das Auto the car
der Computer
der Mann (Monn) the husband
die Frau (Frow) the wife
das Haus (Hoss) the house
das Kind (kint) the child
der Auslander (Ozlondair) the Tourist
die Stadt (shtodt) the city
der Tisch (tish) the table
das Buch (boooock) the book
die Zigarette (tsigorretuh) the cigarette
das Handy the cell phone
der Kugelschreiber (kooglshribair) the pen
I love that last word as it makes no sense, much like the word for eraser (radiergummi). There are a million more words, or at least it feels like a million more. I have a test tomorrow. Apparently I have gone through a nine week course in six days. Wish me luck!
Auf Wiedersehen

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So I was googling Kerwe b/c I wanted to know what we'd be doing tomorrow night. (really I wasn't googling Heidi Kum really) And I found this interesting blog which had a picture of TJ on it. I couldn't believe it. Small world. This is a very helpful blog for me. On another coincidental note, I also have a best friend who works for The Step Company which I think is part of Les Mills. Have Jen lookup him up; he's a great guy. His name is LaPlaca and he lives in South Florida.

Unknown said...

From John Keeler (not sure why my name showed as that)

Annie said...

OMG Keeler! That is awesome you found this blog! I am not sure how the Kerwe will be as it is on a smaller scale than the other one we have been to in Weinheim. Let us know if you want us to come to Mannheim to get you...see you later!