Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New Bikes!

So TJ and I finally got bikes. You may be asking yourself, why do we need bikes when we didn't even have them in the US? Two reasons...function and recreation. And then a third one...because everyone else here does too. Even the children are equipted with bikes from 2 years-old to people well into their golden years. I actually love how they introduce children to bikes. They are tiny two wheeled bikes without pedals, and there is a little plat form at the bottom where they can put their feet. It essentially is a scooter with a seat, but teaches balance. There are no training wheels in Germany as the kids don't need them. Seriously there are bikes EVERYWHERE! And along with the bikes there are giant bike paths connecting every village and every town. It is pretty great. Sure there are trams and buses and a lot of people use them, but it just depends on what you are going to do, and a lot of people will ride their bikes to the tram station and lock them up there.
TJ and I both got mountain bikes rather than trekking bikes (the super old lady Euro looking ones) because we would also like to hit some trails on the weekend and also be able to use them when we get back home. Here is a peak at the Lucero bikes. Notice that they are underneath our stairs and in our apartment. This would be because we do not have a bike rack outside. As soon as I learn German I hope to ask for one to be installed.
I think I am a little more excited than TJ because I can ride mine more frequently and will because I won't have a car. I love my new "Bodyflow" green mountain bike, she is a beauty! Here is a closer look at mine. And no, I haven't named her yet.
I have already put it to good use. It took me less than 24 hours to get on it, ride to the neighboring village, and a become a member of a gym again. It was a glorious day...even though I rode through drizzle to get there! I didn't care because nothing was going to stop me from working out and I sure was not going to go for a run...again! The picture below is my new home away from home, The Pfitzenmeier Fitness Park. It is pretty awesome...and very pink.
Lets talk fitness. This place is huge and pricey as I almost had a heart attack upon doing the conversion from euros to dollars! Brace yourself, Jen...it has four seperate group fitness studios with adequate space, flooring, and equipment. The loud classes are downstairs and the mind and body room is upstairs where it is quiet between the gigantic men's and women's locker rooms/wellness centers. I had a great time and spent almost two hours there (I'm a wee bit sore). The downfall, again Jen brace yourself, no Les Mills classes. At least I don't think so. There is one bright prospect of Bodystep on the schedule, but I have a feeling it is a knock off. Everyone knows I hate a knock off (hello...Y Pump) but I will check it out hopefully tomorrow.

The bottom line, this bike has provided some freedom for me! Watch out Mannheim villages, here I come!

Auf Wiedersehen

1 comment:

TJ said...

Another reason they're under our stairs...so they don't get vandalized or stolen. Mine is staying in the apartment.