Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jim and Julie in Deutschland!

My parents arrived last Tuesday morning, and we have been on the go ever since! They rested up the rest of the day Tuesday and then hit Mannheim on Wednesday for a short outing. We walked the Innenstadt area and had lunch at one of my Mom's favorite places from the last time she visited. My friend Hazel came to visit with us for an after lunch coffee and then we headed back to rest up with the last of their jetlag.
Thursday was a Daddy-Daughter kind of day as I took my Dad to lunch in Weinheim for traditional German food at Diebsloch Restaurant and it was so good. We had a very nice little table in the back that set in a small cove. Dad had a Frankfurter style sausage and kartoffel salat. Here he is pictured below after our meal.


After lunch, I took him to the Tanner's Quarter of Weinheim to see the old German architecture of that area, in what he calls Dicken's Village.




It wasn't a very long day...more like an afternoon, but it was fun and we spotted a special surprise on our drive home. It is the Schaefer Apothecary. I think I have mentioned before that the name Schaefer is as common as Smith here and when translated means Shepherd. So the picture beside the sign is of a Shepherd and a sheep. I think it was fun for him to see his name on a building on his third day here!


It was a fun day, followed by many more as we headed to Interlaken, Switzerland the next day. More on that trip later today or tomorrow!
Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love Weinheim!!!!