Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Trier

We made a quick day trip to Trier, Germany yesterday, which happens to be the area that my Dad's ancestors hail from. I had been there before, but only for a wedding, so I never got the chance to take it all in. We spent most of our time in the old city, as it is the oldest city in Germany...and very catholic too. Here is a look at an old street from the Black Gate, which is an old Roman ruin called Porta Nigra.




And my Dad inside that ruin...



I can't tell you how many churches we went into, but there were a lot! This one is called St. Paulin. It was ridiculous!



Aside from the huge catholic thing, there was also a huge Roman influence with much of its history including Constantine and his mother St. Helena. If you didn't spot Mary and Jesus, you were sure to spot something Roman! Like this ruin first constructed by Constantine as the Imperial Baths.



Trier is nestled in the vined wine hills near Luxembourg and is quite a nice surprise. You certainly wouldn't believe its history! It was really nice for my Dad to go and visit his ancestoral homeland and see where his roots began...and for me too!
Tomorrow we make our way on the first leg of our France trip to Paris, we will then return in about a week after we return from Normandy. Don't worry, I will kep you posted on all the highlights!
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: