Friday, March 26, 2010

New and Expensive

Its official, we have moved back to the States and little by little things are getting back to the way they used to be. The difference is that everything seems to be new and very expensive. I simply went to get a cell phone yesterday and could not believe how I could spend that much in 15 minutes just to get my plan started! In addition, we close on the house today, and we love its bones, but first up is the cosmetic renovation that begins tomorrow morning with the removal of popcorn ceilings and doesn't stop there as we have things scheduled through the 5th of April. This clearly equals a large out of pocket cost right away. That, coupled with TJ and I having to purchase cars and new appliances makes for an expensive welcome home.
Things that aren't new or expensive include returning to my favorite home Augusta, Georgia and being greeted by 75 degree weather yesterday! I swear the weather here is perfect! The locals have said its to be cold (high 60's) for the next few days...gotta love it! Some differences I have noticed right away from Germany are the abundance of cops out driving around and the the extreme friendliness of complete strangers. Cops don't patrol the streets of Germany, but the cameras do...it was so strange to see them out in full force last night when I went to pick up TJ from work. It is kind of funny how we have a larger police presence and also more crime than Germany. Also, I have mentioned before that the Germans are private people and can come across as unfriendly because they don't make conversation with anyone or greet others as they walk down the street. Here, everyone talks to everybody and I am trying to figure out if it was always this way or simply a regional cultural difference unique to the warm south. I would never talk to the hotel staff in great detail in Europe, but I have been here a day and a half and I think I have spoken to and know all the hotel staff. Funny, isn't it?
I still have unfinished European blogging business as I haven't chronicled our France trip yet. I haven't forgotten, rather the timing and now logistics are creating the roadblock. Once we receive our home PC in the air shipment I will get right on that...but who knows when that will be!
Until the next time...

1 comment:

hotflawedmama said...

So happy you're back in the States! Let me know when you're in the QC so we can do some Les Mills team teaching!