Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mom's First Day Out

My Mom arrived safely in Frankfurt at 5:45 Tuesday morning and had a decent case of jet-lag, although her trip seemed to go well. Her first day here was quite uneventful as she needed to get on schedule, but on Wednesday we got up early and hit up the Schloss Schwetzingen Gardens. The gardens were designed in a French style by several architects for two different electors in the 17 and 1800's. There are simply beautiful! And I find it sort of special that on my second day of living here I visited them for the first time and now on my Mom's second day in Deutschland she also visited them. She took really great pictures and enjoyed making her way through the different gardens with Tut and I along side. We often spoke of those that would love the gardens...my Dad and Rita to name a few. She took really great photos with her camera...here a just a few snaps of the 178 that she took.

As you walk in there is a long aisle of flowers, trees, and fountains...
More garden views...



I really don't care for birds in the least, but this guy and many of his friends occupy the gardens and we thought they were kind of funny.
Hidden in the back is an old ruin of a watermill with a really cute brook.
And a gazebo too.
And a closer look at the ruin...I think it is really cool.

In the gardens there is an on-site mosque that is quite something, with its own gardens.
And here is a garden view of the site.

The interior of the mosque is really amazing as well!

Tut couldn't go inside the mosque so we hung out and wait for my Mom outside. This also happens to be the site where a Korean tourist asked me to carry (hold) my dog and pose for a photo...and then not long after I was approached by a crazy German lady who wanted to know my thoughts on the end of the world. Thats what you get for minding your own business hanging out in front of a mosque like this!

We had a really nice morning and then it reached about 90+ degrees out (FYI, no AC here) and took refuge at my house out of the sun. We ended the day at a small cafe in Ladenburg with coffee and a late meal. It was a great day!!
Today we went to Weinheim to see some German cuteness and I will post on that tomorrow. Until then, Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

gardenmouse said...

I have been waiting for pictures and information...thinking of you with Annie and Tut. I look at the rest of the pictures later when you arrive home.

Rita