Saturday, May 30, 2009

Nuova Icaria and Port Olympico

We made it back today and I realized that I needed to start blogging immediately or I would never be done as with this vacation we saw and did so much around the Mediterranean! I have decided to split it up quite a bit by activity or destination as to better designate it in the published version of this blog after we are through here...so please be patient with me as I muddle through!
We flew out on Friday evening after TJ finished work so we didn't arrive in Barcelona until very late and opted to take the public train system to our hotel in Nuova Icaria rather than walk it or take a taxi with our bags. This was not the best idea at the hour we traveled as we were targets for pick pocketing. We were stalked by a team of three that split us up on an escalator...blah, blah and the next thing I know some axxhole is going through my backpack. No worries as I caught him and swiped my $14.99 TJ Maxx sunglasses out of his hands and told him to get lost. Lesson...do not ride trains in Barca at night with a ton of bags! We finally made it to our hotel that sat near the sea and very close to the beach and Port Olympico. We were told by Diego (of course) that we had the best room. And we did! And it also had the best view of the area. Here is a peak...


We also had a giant walk-in closet...which would have been great had we stayed there at least 24 hours! It took us all of 1 minute to drop our things and head for food and Sangria in the Port Olympico area. It was 11:30 and just getting started! There are tons of bars and restaurants in this area and it was very walkable. I forgot where we ate but it was good...and the Sangria was AMAZING! You can kind of see that I was sucking it down like I was never going to get it again!


We ended up getting calamari, some shrimp, and artichokes to share...and the shrimp was also very good. TJ and I were a little afraid of the calamari as it was the entire baby squid and they had eyes. TJ was horrified...the black things half way down are the eyes...Eww!

Following dinner we went down by the Port in this area where there are tons of bars and stuff..a very lively place! Very lively and very well occupied by the police! Here is TJ near it...below him are bars and the harbor, and behind him in lights are more bars and restaurants.

We opted for drinks at a more low key place just on the other side of the lights on the beach. There was a great little beach bar that served Caipirinhas and Mojitos until 2:30 so we relaxed there for a while and then headed back to the hotel. Here is TJ coming up the beach after touching the water- I opted to stay with my drink :)!

It was a fun first night, and we also had a chance the next day to see the area by daylight plus neighboring Barcelonetta the following day before heading to the ship. More on that tomorrow!
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: